The game yesterday was great fun! Despite having many new girls and having to "volunteer" someone to play goal (which she very sweetly agreed to without any fuss), I think that for a first game of the season it was a terrific showing! It was very rewarding to see the girls come together, pass well, work strategically and cohesively. There are things we need to work on, of course, but even in 4 short practices, everyone has learned a lot, and is putting that learning into action on the field. Way to go, girls!
This year MBGLL asked teams to select whether they consider themselves beginner, intermediate, or advanced.
In previous years there was no such self-ranking and each year we played several teams that were definitely in the "beginner" category. Each game, as the point spread grew I'd have the girls play just with their left or less dominant hand on top and have to make 5 passes before scoring. It's good practice, but no one feels good when you walk over another team. So I've been a big supporter of the league change. With the rankings this year, the games will be much more competitive. I just hope that the other towns we're playing also have new girls playing and that we're not the one's being wiped each Sunday afternoon!
By the way, the new MBGLL president, Ted Kelly, is also blogging on the MBGLL site at http://www.mbgll.org/ (scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the blog).
This year MBGLL asked teams to select whether they consider themselves beginner, intermediate, or advanced.
In previous years there was no such self-ranking and each year we played several teams that were definitely in the "beginner" category. Each game, as the point spread grew I'd have the girls play just with their left or less dominant hand on top and have to make 5 passes before scoring. It's good practice, but no one feels good when you walk over another team. So I've been a big supporter of the league change. With the rankings this year, the games will be much more competitive. I just hope that the other towns we're playing also have new girls playing and that we're not the one's being wiped each Sunday afternoon!
By the way, the new MBGLL president, Ted Kelly, is also blogging on the MBGLL site at http://www.mbgll.org/ (scroll down to the bottom of the page to find the blog).
No comments:
Post a Comment